How bad can it be?
Oh, it can be baaad. It’s okay. We’re not going to scare you with traumatic team building fails where participants die. Don’t worry.
* How about the call we got one morning around 11 am? It was a high-end property wanting to know if we could do a program THAT NIGHT at 5 pm for nearly 100 executives from around the world? The contracted team building company made their flights for the wrong day and wouldn’t be there.
* Then there’s the group that wanted their program outdoors in a predictably rainy season. Absolutely refused to consider rain back-up alternatives despite frequent and repeated suggestions. Up until two hours before when the skies opened up and they decided they wanted a completely different program. In a covered horse arena.
* You’ll love this one. There was the shipping company that did not leave a message at the number they had or call anybody else to let someone, anyone know they were unable to deliver over 100 bicycles for a bike-building program.
* The event facility that scheduled another group on top of our client’s contracted space and time.
* Or the charity that simply decided not to show up to accept and transport nearly $10,000 in doted items.
All epic team building fails. Potentially.
Mistakes are made. Miscommunication takes place. Wrong choices, poor service, bad luck. It’s called life. You make as many plans as possible, create contingencies, prepare, and still, it goes wrong.
So how do you avoid team building fails like the ones above?
In team building, as in the rest of life, flexibility is a key marker of success.
Being adaptable in the face of changing circumstances is a critical skill in today’s economy.
And apparently, in team building too.
Gumby had it goin’ on and so do we
In each of the stories we shared, the PlayWorks Group team demonstrated this hallmark trait. Or maybe you call it flexibility and adaptability skill.
We rescued what could have been even scarier scenarios and left the clients delighted and clamoring for more.
More successful events that is. Not more team building fails. But you knew that.
- We delivered an amazing event last minute.
- Instantly pulled a fresh rain plan out of our hat.
- Made a different unique space work.
- Pulled LOTS of strings to get the bikes delivered – on time.
- Rented a vehicle and delivered the items ourselves to another equally deserving organization.
How about you?
We’d love to hear your stories of #teambuildingfails. Share below or on social media! And when you want to host a team building event on your own, minus the fail, click here. We’ll make you look like a hero.
To request a proposal or learn more about PlayWorks Group live event offerings, fill out the form to the right or give us a call at 855-TEAM-BLD
In business since 2002, PlayWorks Group is an award-winning team building and meeting design firm serving North America and the Caribbean.